Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Urban Memoirs - Kanye West

Kanye West Album Cover “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasies”

    When I first saw this album cover I was almost certain that my eyes were deceiving me. Knowing Kanye, I'm sure that was his attentions. I actually sat at my laptop for 30 minutes trying to understand why he made this his album cover. Moments later I connected the fact that the name of his album was “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasies” and I began to ponder. My mind began to drift to other black male entertainers (past and present); suddenly his album cover began to make a lot of sense. Entertainers from Rick James to Dennis Rodman and countless others that have been “in the closet” have lived this reality. You have to realize that it’s not a black or white thang, but it seems to be a standard for some of the black men that become successful to drink excessively, snort cocaine, and have sex with white women when they reached the level of being a “ROCKSTAR”. Hopefully I’m not the only one that understood the statement Kanye is attempting to convey to his audience, because if not I’m sure there will be a lot of controversy with this album cover. Needless to say this is art, and Kanye West in my eyes is a Master Artist.  Genius!  Lol

Other 3 choices of album covers below.


Art, I guess…



Most King's get their heads cut off image…inspired by Basquiat


 More Art, I assume…




3 comments:

kris321 said...

LOL, When I first so this I shrugged it off as being "Kanye." Something eccentric like him. When you look at it from the perspective that you did I can see how that picture would come into play. Do you think that the whole picture has significance ie the wings, animal tale and face, and lack of arms on the woman.

Rascheik 'Roc' Dixon said...

yea I'm sure the wings and the tail etc have meaning as well. The ancient Egyptians use to make themselves into animals after one died. I couldn't tell you the significance on his album cover though. Kanye is always tryin to say something behind what he do. You have to lookup his families background to kinda get an idea of some stuff.

Anonymous said...

The album cover definitely matches the music. It's a deep exploration into the subject of "POWER".How it blesses,corrupts,& transforms the mind.From the looks of that 'Power video' and the 20 minute movie 'Dark Fantasy movie' he fo'sho on some esoteric/symbol language. If you are scary dont listen 2 that album...its like reading a Aleister Crowley book.At least in my 'opinion'.